Poster: leeunique Date: Sep 21, 2009 11:59am
Forum: texts Subject: Uploading texts

How do I upload a public domain text when the funky little "share" button doesn't work in my javascript-enabled browser? There's got to be a non-idiot-proof way.

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Sep 22, 2009 9:11pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

I disabled Flash in my Firefox, then on that Share POP UP, I clicked "prefer not to use Flash?"

I got to a page moaning that I did not have flash installed, but below it, was a non-flash uploading page, you put in your text details, then apparently it takes you to another page, where supposedly you identify yourself.

Anyway, clicking on "prefer not to use flash?" bought me to URL http://www.archive.org/create/ so seeing it has no ID coding in it, I am posting the link.

I dont recall how well it worked, the first time I followed that avenue, but it does take longer for the IA to fully set up your new upload page, and derive other file formats.

I wonder why Brewster and Tracey could not openly display http://www.archive.org/create/ as a click-able link, rather than requiring a Flash generated pop up and then a moan you dont have Flash.

I would point out, since I log in automatically, I can not be sure the link will work for others.

Maybe Gerry will comment, and I will email him now. I am currently having pollen issues, a hot water bottle on my head to unblock my sinuses, then, I still have other health issues, preventing me thinking clearly, about the above advice.

What is really confusing me regarding the above, is why Tracey did not openly display that link http://www.archive.org/create/ without adding the fancy flashing stuff up.

Peter

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-09-23 04:09:38

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-09-23 04:11:38

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Sep 22, 2009 9:31pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

Some extra news

That link http://www.archive.org/create/ brings you back to the Flash up-loader page, (I did a refresh each time) then just hovering the mouse over the Flash link on the right, without clicking, repeat WITHOUT clicking, brings you to the non-flash up loader.

I have now tested it 3 times.

My on-line-banking page, earlier moaned I did not have FLASH installed. (So it could not display the latest site news) therfore, I think I got in without FLASH.

more news,

I just tried again on a hunch, I came to the uploading page, by clicking on the Contributions link.

I hovered the mouse over the FLASH button, I did not click, when it detected I did not have Flash installed, it took me to the alternate up-loader PAGE

more news written while tearing my hair out, clicking on the prefer not to use flash link, I got the same alternate page.

This post was modified by Time Traveller on 2009-09-23 04:31:23

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Sep 21, 2009 3:38pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

If you click on the Share button in the middle of the screen, a silly message comes up, saying WRONG, this button is a decoy to confuse you, the real SHARE button is elsewhere

Putting the mouse on the true share button on the hard right of the page brings out a pop up, Then in this pop up, you might see a link to the old up-loader,

Its entitled "prefer not to use flash?"

I am not sure if you can see the pop up, if you disabled FLASH from working on your PC.

Tracy from the Archive wanted to make things easier for us, so we ended up with a Mickey Mouse way of uploading, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody had ever complained that they had trouble uploading, which needed to be fixed with a FLASH up-loader.

I refer you to the following document

http://www.archive.org/details/ReasonForArchiveToNotUseFlash

Peter

Poster: leeunique Date: Sep 22, 2009 8:19am

On September 21, 2009 Time Traveller wrote:

> I am not sure if you can see the pop up, if you disabled
> FLASH from working on your PC.

As I have at least a notion of online self-preservation, of course I disable Flash in all my browsers. In my experience Flash is really only used for glitzy, frilly eye-candy, and disabling it rarely causes any problems.

With Flash disabled, the "Prefer not to use Flash?" message /does/ appear, but cannot be selected.

As I see it I have two uploading options. I can probably upload using FTP if I can figure out the screwy interface IA uses. On the other hand, my company is currently building a user interface based on Flash for our software, so my work computer has Flash enabled. Because the company has bought into the Flash hype, and I keep it and my personal computers isolated, I can just use the work computer to upload files. If that computer becomes compromised due to Flash's security holes, it's IT's problem, not mine.

> Tracy from the Archive wanted to make things easier for
> us, so we ended up with a Mickey Mouse way of uploading,
> and to the best of my knowledge, nobody had ever
> complained that they had trouble uploading, which needed
> to be fixed with a FLASH up-loader.

Ahhh, novices, bless their souls. They find new toys and they just have to try them, whether it makes sense of not. Give him another decade in the business and he'll figure out that functionality trumps flashiness, and that interfaces that any dummy can use, can only be used by dummies. In the meantime, the rest of us will muddle though as best we can, using tools like FTP.

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Sep 22, 2009 6:18pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

its so painful to my health, to even make an attempt to upload, that I have not been doing so, it seems every time I try, something is different, or something new fails.

Thanks for confirming what happens when Flash is disabled.

I use XP Firefox 3.5.3.

I get about 1000 items per day via Google RSS reader, for example, local national and overseas news is about 50-60, I git thru the list, and select maybe 20 items to read further, each opens in a new tab, each tab has heaps of FLASH advertising, my CPU and RAM would be hovering around 50% each otherwise, but with 20 tabs as above, I am on 100%, its a question whether then its my CPU or swop RAM on HDD is mucking me up.

Yet, there are times I do appreciate FLASH. However, I am in the process of setting up a bare bones PC, just for the Archive and browsing, in the old fashioned way, thanks to Gerry for the software CDs

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Sep 22, 2009 6:32pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

BTW, Tracey, apparently, is a lady.

But her boss, is a he, Brewster is in charge.

Poster: garthus Date: Sep 22, 2009 9:11pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

Trick is to install flash on my hacked version of XP; since the suspect registry keys are not their it cannot do its dirty work. I then install flask block on kmeleon or mozilla and it displays an ican wherever a flashinstance is located on the web page. I can then choose to use only the flash instance associated with the share button, thus avoiding performance and security issues.

All I can say is that I would like to live long enough to see the machines (which I am working on right now) replace most of the carbon-life forms inhabiting this planet. What would they do without bull-shit to spot and useless motions to make performing their jobs (which incidently only make our life harder and more stressful) just so some morally corrupt corporation can extract an ever larger share of societies resources.

Gerry

Poster: Time Traveller Date: Sep 22, 2009 9:31pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

if computers had brains, they would lock us out, from interfering with their software, their only interest is in serving the person on the keyboard, but far too many people, claim the right to interfere with our software, because they believe they know better than us, what is good for us, but looking at those God like people, they all have self interests, using our gear, to make money from us.

Poster: garthus Date: Sep 21, 2009 7:13pm
Forum: texts Subject: Re: Uploading texts

Which browser are you using also the version.

Gerry